Daily Spiritual Quote

Daily Spiritual Quote
Spiritual Quote by Srila BV Madhav Maharaj

Lord Rama asked Laxman to go and take learning from Ravana

Ravana, though a Brahmin and well-educated, was punished by Lord Rama because of his ‘adharmic’ deeds . It’s a historic fact that Lord Rama was very impressed with Ravana’s knowledge and wisdom—which is why after defeating him, he praised Ravana and deputed brother Lakshmana to seek the blessings of the dying Ravana.

Ravan, considered as one of the most learned person at that time was well aware of what his fate was. When he was told that Lord Rama is coming to get his wife back, he knew what will happen. He said, If he is just a simple man then I will defeat him, BUT if he an incarnation of Lord Vishnu then he will kill me and there could be nothing better that this. In both cases, its a win win deal.” When Ravan was dying and Rama was standing near his feet, he said “I didnt let you enter my land (Lanka), while I was alive, BUT as you can see I am going to your place – The Heaven and you cant even stop me..”

The story goes that after shooting the fatal arrow on the battlefield of Lanka, Ram told his brother, Lakshman, “Go to Ravan quickly before he dies and request him to share whatever knowledge he can. A brute he may be, but he is also a great scholar”. The obedient Lakshman rushed across the battlefield to Ravan’s side and whispered in his ears, “Demon-king, do not let your knowledge die with you. Share it with us and wash away your sins”. Ravan responded by simply turning away. An angry Lakshman went back to Ram, “He is as arrogant as he always was, too proud to share anything”. 

Ram sent Lakshman to take knowledge from Ravana


Ram comforted his brother and asked him softly, “Where did you stand while asking Ravan for knowledge?” “Next to his head so that I hear what he had to say clearly”. Ram smiled, placed his bow on the ground and walked to where Ravan lay. Lakshman watched in astonishment as his divine brother knelt at Ravan’s feet. With palms joined, and with extreme humility, Ram said, “Lord of Lanka, you abducted my wife, a terrible crime for which I have been forced to punish you. Now you are no more my enemy. I bow to you and request you to share your wisdom with me. Please do that for if you die without doing so, all your wisdom will be lost forever to the world”. To Lakshman’s surprise, Ravan opened his eyes and raised his arms to salute Ram, If only I had more time as your teacher than as your enemy. Standing at my feet as a student should, unlike your rude younger brother, you are a worthy recipient of my knowledge. I have very little time so I cannot share much but let me tell you important lesson that I have learnt in my life.

Things that are bad for you seduce you easily; you run towards them impatiently. But things that are actually good for you fail to attract you; you keep distance from them, finding powerful excuses to justify your avoidance. That is why I was impatient to kidnapped Sita but avoided meeting you. This is the wisdom of my life, Ram. My last words. I give it to you”. 

Ravana told him about Politics and Niti which mainly said:
1 Do not be enemy of your charioteer, your gatekeeper, your cook and your brother, they can harm you anytime

2- Do not think you are always a winner, even if you are winning always

3- Always trust the minister, who criticises you

4- Never think your enemy is small or powerless, like I thought about Hanuman

5- Never think you can outsmart the stars, they will bring you what you are destined to

6- Either love or hate God but both should be immense and strong

Ravana taught him that a king who is eager to win glory must suppress greed as soon as it lifts its head, and welcome the smallest chance to do good to others, without the slightest procrastination. He (Ravana) had learnt the lesson through bitter experience. Greed arises from attachment to the senses and catering to them. Put them in their proper place; they are windows for knowledge, not channels of contamination.
Valmiki describes Ravan as the greatest devotee of Shiva. In many folk versions of the epic, such as Ram-kathas and Ram-kiritis, we are informed that Ravan composed the Rudra Stotra in praise of Shiva, who is the param-vaishnav (and great devotee of Lord).

Because Symbolism of Ravana - “Ravana is depicted as the king of Raakshasas. He is said to have ten heads. Who is this Ravana and what are his ten heads? Kama (lust), Krodha (anger), Moha (delusion), Lobha (greed), Mada (pride), Maatsyasya (envy), Manas (mind), Buddhi (intellect), Chitta (will) and Ahamkara (the ego).

Today everyone burn the dummy of Ravan without killing the Ravana residing themselves. To whom Ram consider as knowledgeable is worth learning something from, that can just clarify the meaning and purpose of this life. 

Take good knowledge even from the worst person of this world because if we find gold in dirty place, we don't leave it.

*** Hare Krishna ***